A dictionary of Suffolk place-names
by Keith Briggs and Kelly Kilpatrick. English Place-Name Society (2016). EPNS Popular Series volume 6. ISBN-10: 0904889912, ISBN-13: 978-0904889918.
Available from Amazon and ebay.
Errata (last updated 2016-06-18)
- page i: the cover map is of the north-west Suffolk region around Bury St Edmunds, not the Ipswich and Woodbridge regions as stated.
- page xxii: add Easton Bavents to the list of places with Norman manorial affixes.
- page 19: the note on the Tudor brick hall is attached to the wrong Brandeston - it should be Brandeston in Loes Hundred, not Brandeston Hall in Great Waldingfield.
- page 50: under Eyke: for "1885" read "1185".
- page 66: the following entry was accidently omitted:
Hasketon TM250504 (Carlford Hd). Hascetuna, Haschetuna,
Hashetuna 1086 DB, Hecetune c.1100 (c.1207) FeudBury,
Asketon 1254 ValN, Hasketone 1327 SR, Hectune c.1333 PbR,
Hasketon' 1336 LS, Haston 1524 SR, Hasketon 1783 Hods.
`*Haseca's homestead.' OE masc. pers.n. *Haseca (gen. *Hasecan) +
tūn. The only other evidence for a personal name *Haseca is
in three Worcestershire charters referring to heasacan be(o)rh (S:121,
S:122, S:786; the placename survives as Axborough (PN Wo:257)). The name
Hasketon is sometimes confused in early records with Hacheston (page 63).
- page 110: under Playford: for "Flynn" read "Fynn".
- page 156: under Wissington, Ælfflæd's will (S1486) mentions Wiswyþetun, but Wiswiþe, the person, is actually mentioned in the will of Ealdorman Ælfgar (S1483), Ælfflæd's father. It is very likely that Wiswiðe was Ælfgar's wife.
- page 157: under Woolpit: for "other-wordly" read "other-worldly".
- page 158: the comment about metathesis under Wortham should really be attached to Worlingworth.
- page 173 & 177: Aldwulf and Børk should be deleted from the index of personal names, as Aldulveston and Barkston are not in the body of the dictionary.
- page 174: there are two indentation errors.
title= "A dictionary of Suffolk place-names",
author= "Keith Briggs and Kelly Kilpatrick",
series= "EPNS Popular Series",
publisher="English Place-Name Society",
note= "In collaboration with the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History,
and with contributions and photographs from Edward Martin",
ISBN= "0 904889 91 2",
ISBN13= "978 0 904889 91 8",
This website uses no cookies. This page was last modified 2016-06-19 09:20